Re: [gardeners] In the Garden

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:27:10 -0700

At 06:34 AM 12/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I wasn't going to reply, but had to - our oldest daughter and her husband
>should arrive her sometime today.  They have GIVEN up on NYC - or at least
>she has. He was mugged and thrown on the subway tracks in May - broke his
>elbow in three places and his hip in two, then in Oct. she had her purse
>stolen. That was the last straw.  They are both in theatre and were trying
>to "make it" in New York.  We visited them several times and did enjoy
>seeing the Broadway shows etc., but like the rest of you, coulodn't stand
>to live there.
>	We did make a trip out to the New York Botanic Garden when we were there.
>Wanted to see the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, but couldn't get there via
>public transportation, or at least WE couldn't figure out how to do it.
>anyway, since our reason for going is moving back home, don't think we will
>be there again for awhile unless it's to fly somewhere else.
>	BTW - just signed up for a trip to Greece in September.  Any one on the
>list been there?  It is a tour, so probably not much flexibility to see or
>do anything extra, but you never know.
>	We have also decided to attend the Philadelphia Flower show this year.
>Haven't seen anyone mention it on the other gardening list.  I've never
>been, so really looking forward to it.
>Barb - in Columbia, Missouri
>snow is leaving rapidly but more is predicted for the week end. Hope it
>holds off until our NYC couple are safely in their mobile home - which is
>STILL in the middle of a corn field waiting to be moved to a trailer park.
>ground has just been too wet to move it.  sigh

Barb, since my husband teaches Theatre Arts, we've known a number of
actors and actresses who've gone to NY or Hollywood, etc.  Some have
realized there are opportunities for theatre people outside of those
centers.  Two couples returned to Boise, and set themselves up as the
"NewWest Comedy Rangers," and put on shows in various locations around
town.  They were available for hire to civic clubs and employers of large
numbers of people such as Hewlett-Packard, Micron Technology, Albertsons,
etc.  They also sought and got assignments to write and act in "industrial"
shows and commercials of all sorts.  They did make a decent living, but
finally disbanded, with one couple going to St. Paul, where he has a
permanent professional acting job.  They bought a house and had a child,
and as soon as he's of school age, she'll try to get a job to help out.
They don't have to give up their dreams, just put them in a different
location.  Margaret