Re: [gardeners] Artichokes

Marianne Lepa (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 17:55:45 -0500

At 09:42 AM 1/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
>asidv@ktc.com <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>
>> Either that, or I am trying to talk myself into thinking
>> that a soil pH of 7.8 is really not so horrible if I end up moving
>> here to live year round!
>>
>> Suggestions, admonitions, warnings, and advice appreciated.
>
>Don't move there.
>
>I'd give them a whirl.  They grow artichokes in Arizona (see Deborah
>Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone) so they should have some
>heat tolerant varieties.  I know there is one that is grown in S.
>Louisiana called "Creole".  My guess is that her problem is going to
>be winter temperatures.  Below 20F and they begin to die off.
>Liz

Catharine,

Are you familiar with Rob Witherspoon from rec.gardens? His father grows
artichokes somewhere up here near me. If he can do it up here, then surely
you could do it down there.

Kay, are you out there? I sent you an email but it's come back as
undeliverable.

Marianne
Southeastern Ontario AgCan zone 5b