Re: [gardeners] tomatoes/Thai recipes

drusus@golden.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:42:45 -0500

>Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:41:47 -0500
>To: John Harman <harmanj@agric.nsw.gov.au>
>From: drusus@golden.net
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] tomatoes/Thai recipes
>
>At 11:51 AM 04-02-98 +1100, you wrote:
>snip>>
>>  I found my pot grown Tomatoes dried out too quickly, even in big pots.
>>What sort of soil mix did you use ?? I was wondered whether to incorporate
>>some spagnum moss next time to improve water holding.
>>
>>John
>

>I used a combination of plain old dirt (heavy clay here), peat moss,
compost and my undecomposed fall leaves in the bottoms of the biggest pots.
 I think that's what did it - the water wouldn't drain through the leaves
so quickly.   I found the tomatoes very easy to manage this way.  I also
planted them in my raised letttuce box--when it got hot later in the summer
the tomatoes were big enough to shade the lettuce and it didn't bolt so
quickly, although cutting it back and letting it grow again also helps to
prevent the bolting.