Re: [gardeners] Glory, glory

Thu, 04 Jun 1998 08:27:47

At 01:26 AM 6/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>George, if Miz Anne enjoys Chinese food, she ranks very high
>on our family chart! Now just how does she accept your usual
>adition of hot peppers in your cooking?

I have to be careful when adding hot stuff, Miz Anne is a super taster.
Really hot food just destroys her.

>I have one daughter who lived for more than 10 years in Chicago,
>which happens to be one end of a Mexican direct highway. Every
>night after work, she and her hubby would each go to the gym and
>work out, arriving home for dinner about 9:00pm. Then they would
>hie themselves out night after night to the Mexican dives for a
>jalapeno fix. In fact, she kept a gallon of pickled jalapenos on top
>of her fridge, for snacking.

I pickle my own chiles, including jalapenos every once in awhile. Right now
I'm putting the first layers of chiles down to make some hot sauce. The
Hawaiian Tabascos are turning red and I have other chiles ready also.

>After one visit, I had to ask her if they were supposed to burn
>just as much coming out as they had going in ....

Down here we talk about eating hot stuff and then running for the crik in
the morning.

>But all good things must come to an end, and they relocated for
>two years in Miami, Florida, at the University. No Mexican food.
>No pickled peppers. Rats! They went bananas looking for a
>substitute. I suggested some good, hot Hunan or Sechuan Chinese
>food but she scoffed, saying Ma, they're NOT the same peppers!
>
>When they moved to St.Louis, I carried some jalapeno plants
>with me on the plane, first visit. We carefully planted them right
>in the front yard, in the place of honor. I felt so good....  The next
>year once again I brought the peppers with me -- and that's when
>she told me her problem:  she loved Pickled Japapeno Peppers, not
>plain ones..  Since I could not find any pickled pepper plants, I
>had to give it up. And she still would not eat Chinese food!
>
>When she visits her sister in Chicagoland, they alternate between
>the Korean and Mexican restaurants. Thank goodness she has
>an outlet!
>
>So, catching the tiger by the tail, just what kind of Chinese food
>does Miz Anne like...?

Any kind but Schezuan(sp?). Can't handle the hot stuff. We used to
alternate between the Shanghai Restaurant and the Korean Palace in Yanbu,
Saudi Arabia. Both had excellent food but I preferred the Mongolian
barbecue at the Korean Palace. Spicy beef and pork, very tasty. Neither of
us cares much for Continental style food nor for the so-called Novelle
Cuisine that is such a hit in trendy restaurants now. We eat a very
international diet, today is Arabic appetizers, hummos, mutabbel (Baba
Ghanouj), etc.

>Penny, NY

George