Re: [gardeners] Tuesday in the garden

Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:05:19

At 06:49 PM 6/23/98 +0000, you wrote:
>George Shirley <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>
>> The Golden Queen corn is ripening at the proper rate for the two of us,
>> about 4 ears every other day, had a batch yesterday along with BLT's on
>> homemade wheat bread and some green beans on the side.
>
>Is this the analog to Silver Queen?  I'm *still* looking for corn
>that has a strong corn taste and is sweet.  Supersweet varieties are
>way too sweet for me and many of the sugary enhanced varieties are
>also heavy on the sweet, light on the corn taste.  How does yours
>taste?

I have no idea. I had ordered Golden Queen tomatoes from Totally Tomatoes
and got Golden Queen corn from Shumway, the parent company. It's not real
sweet but is tasty enough to suit me, has a good "corn" flavor if you
understand that. The ears are about 6-8 inches long and up to two inches in
diameter. Kernals are medium sized, stalks get about 5 feet tall. I really
prefer the old field corns like Truckers Favorite, picked young, but don't
have the room to grow cornstalks 12 feet tall and 4 inches in diameter
anymore.

>I grew Incredible last year and it was better than some I've tried
>but a long way from perfect.  What I'd like is something with a
>Golden Bantam taste that's the size of an ear of Silver Queen.
>
>Liz

Generally don't grow corn due to lack of space for a decent crop but
managed to get 25 stalks of Golden Queen into a space about 30 inches wide
by 10 feet long. Remember to that we are in what the weather bureau calls a
"moderate" drought, this corn has been dependent upon what water I give it
since it sprouted.

George