Re: [gardeners] Ring of brown grass beyond drip line

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:04:05 -0600

At 08:57 PM 8/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>My father in law has an oak tree, and a horse chestnut in his yard. There
>is a ring of brown grass about 5 feet beyond the drip line of each. It's
>about 6 inches wide.
> Numerous pine trees don't have this problem. All of the trees are between
>20 and 30 feet tall, planted approximately 15 years ago.
> I'm assuming that is where the tree roots might end, but I've never seen
>this with any other tree.  All the trees on the propery look fine. The dirt
>is heavy clay, if that matters.
> Any idea's on how to fix the ring of dead grass?
>
>THanks
>
>Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
>USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.

Did your FIL apply anything in that vicinity?  Did he have a female dog
that liked to travel in circles?  Does the grass pull up easily (roots
eaten off)?  Are there mushrooms (or have there been) growing in the brown
grass?  Did he spray the trees with anything that could have run off,
leaving a brown ring?  Margaret