Re: [gardeners] Thanksgiving thoughts.

Alicia Bayer (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 22:15:27 -0700

Gayle Fields wrote:

> Good morning to you all.  This is the Thanksgiving Weekend for
> Canadians and I have planned a wonderful feast for my family.

Gayle,
I have to admit my ignorance here and ask... what event does the Canadian
Thanksgiving commemorate?  I've been wanting to switch Thanksgivings (I
know, this sounds crazy) for a while & maybe I could celebrate yours <g>.
I love the idea of giving thanks for what we have, but I hate the idea of
doing it as a celebration for our invading America, stealing Native
American land & killing off & evicting the people.  I know, technically
it was that they made it through the first year, but I have NA friends &
a co-worker whose eyes I now see our Thanksgiving through and I don't
feel very proud of my country's past.  It must be hard for people whose
countries have been taken over to have to live through "celebrations" of
their losses...  So anyway, if Canada celebrates Thanksgiving for some
other thing maybe I'd adopt that.
Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians.
--That bleeding heart in zone 4 boonies :)