Re: [gardeners] Thanksgiving thoughts.

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:30:53 -0500

Hi Barbara,
    Excellent!! What passes for history particularly in middle school is as
revisionist as the worst of the Bolsheviks. My son in middle school was required
to write an essay about the massacre of Texan prisoners of war at Goliad, Tx by
Mexican troops soon after the fall of the Alamo. He was instructed to not use
the words; massacre, murder, slaughter, or killing. This massacre of
approximately 350 men took place on Palm Sunday. I asked his teacher if she
thought the Mexican troops had taken the prisoners for and Easter Egg hunt.
    A group of Mexican/Hispanic student associations has protested until the
University of Texas at Austin(state capitol) no longer celebrates or hosts any
event concerning Texas Independence Day. However the same groups have demanded
and received assistance in celebrating Cinco de Mayo or 5th of May, and Fiestas
Patrias or Festival of Patriots in Sept., both of which commemorate events that
took place in another nation, Mexico.
    This weakness on the part of the officials at the University of Texas is
despicable and dishonorable to those who lost their lives or fought for liberty
for Texas. Why we should honor another countries patriots and dishonor our own
because of the demands from the same group is beyond me.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.,Tx