Re: [gardeners] Re: Mycorrhiza questions...

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 06:13:43 -0600

At 11:36 PM 10/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Gardeners,
>    I have found that I can plant tomatos in the same area if I have to
>as long as I plant resistant varieties and do not have a nematode problem
>to begin with. I prefer to rotate my tomatos as well as other crops
>because I have enough room. For the average home gardeners this may not
>be a viable option. I have used MEDINA which is touted as a soil
>stimulator. It seemed to improve results in soil with a poor tilth and a
>poor response to fertilizer.
>    Allen
>    Bastrop Co.,Tx
>    Zone 8

Allen, I have room to rotate tomatoes, but not the desire.  New research
indicates tomato roots exude something that prepares the way for tomatoes
again.  As long as I don't have soil-borne diseases in my tomato patch, I
see no reason to plant them elsewhere.  They do very well right there, and
there's a bit of shade that may be deterring beet leafhoppers from visiting
(and bringing in curly top virus that is also a gardeners' plague in at
least west Texas).  It might be interesting for you to plant tomatoes again
in the same spot you had them the previous year and see how they do.  Best,
Margaret