Re: [gardeners] gardeners Digest V1 #613

Greg Park (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:34:14 -0700

>From: "Bill Loke" <william.loke@sympatico.ca>
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] Big corn plants but no corn...
>
>I seem to remember that Golden Bantam is a late tall variety of corn (75-80
>days to maturity). You won't see any ears forming until it tassels out
(i.e.
>blooms). I have a sweet corn reaching 9 feet this year (Sir Galahad) so 6
>feet is not unusual. Are the tassels showing yet?
>Bill Loke; Kars, Ontario. USDA Z 4B/5A

Whew!  Thanks for the info Bill.  The corn is starting to tassel.  My garden
is at a friends backyard (lucky guy has too much space) and his
father-in-law is one of those thinks-he-knows-it-all types.  Anyhow, he told
me that the ears should be forming BEFORE the tassels come out, and that I'd
better start adding some 10-30-10 soon or else I'd get no ears.

Dear lord, when I get old, please don't let me have diarrhea of the mouth!

Thanks again for the reassurance.

Greg