Re: [gardeners] Hot stuff - read with care

Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:28:59 -0500

Right, a Louisiana hot sauce, sorta like Tabasco sauce. You start with ripe
chiles, chop them fine and put in a crock or jar, put about 3 tablespoons of
pickling salt on top and allow to ferment. It gets so hot down here, even with
the AC running that I put them in the fridge. When I do I put 1/3 cup 5 percent
white vinegar on top to slow or stop any mold. check it at least every other day
to ensure no mold is growing. It's an educated guess as to when it's ready to
finish off. I look for the liquid to be as high as the chopped chiles or to
cover them. I then run it through the food mill to separate the skins and seeds
and then mix the pulp and juice well with about 30 percent by volume vinegar. As
in 1 gallon of pulp and juice you figure 30 percent of that and add as vinegar.
Mix well and allow to mellow for a week or two, you can taste it to see where
you are. Sometimes I add garlic powder to the liquid sometimes I crush up 4 or 5
heads of garlic and put in with the chopped chiles. An exact science it ain't.
Those that have tasted my hot sauce usually like it.

Speaking of chiles, we were in a new Albertson's supermarket here today and they
had Red Savina habaneros for sale at $3.99 a lb. Can't imagine anyone eating
those as they are the hottest chiles in the world.

George