Re: [gardeners] Wednesday at work and in the garden

Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:41:34 -0500

You might should have planted rice. Some of our farmers are dependent upon
rainfall for water for their rice and sugar cane crops. We aren't getting any
rain. We would about kill for that 5.25 inches you got, that's what used to be
our average monthly rainfall. In 1991 we got right at 100 inches of rain,
flooding of rivers lasted about two days. At the moment fishermen are catching
oceanic jacks at the saltwater barrier several miles above Lake Charles, LA. No
fresh water to speak of is coming down the river but the salt water fishing at
the Civic Center in town is great.

Wish I had your tomato crop though, ours was about 20 quarts or less and then
the plants faded with the heat. Even the heat resistant varieties aren't doing
well. Hot chiles on the other hand, Ay, Chihuahua! Lots of them.

George