Re: [gardeners] New Taste of Cherries

Lon J. Rombough (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 08:04:09 -0700

Queen Ann (aka Royal Anne, aka Napoleon) is grown here in Oregon
commercially to make maraschino cherries because they are easier to bleach.
Why bleach?  So they will take the artificial red color better.  Oh yes, the
red dye they use is a proven cancer causer - the industry says it HAS to use
it as nothing else gives the right color.  And workers at the plants report
that they often go through two pairs of rubber gloves a day because of the
strength of the bleaching and brining agents used.
Still want a maraschino cherry on your sundae?