Re: [gardeners] Home Again

Fri, 27 Dec 2002 09:27:56 -0600

I've never owned a potato ricer but have an entire collection of cast
iron cookware including a very large dutch oven with the recessed lid so
you can use it on a campfire for baking. The one I use the most is the 4
quart dutch oven for pot roasting on the stove top. The lid to it also
fits the 10 1/4 inch skillet. The Arkansas cornbread I make can only be
successfully made in an iron skillet. Grew up cooking on cast iron of
every type and description and, as the only decent cook among three
entire set of Melmac dishes (service for 12 including cups/saucers and
drinking glasses)but one of my nieces wanted that as her house is set up
retro fifties.

I used to have one of those automatic spatulas but I don't fry things
anymore so have no need for spatulas at all except the nylon one I use
to turn my "fake" eggs of a morning in the T-fal 4 inch skillet. <VBG>

I do have a set of bamboo steaming baskets but haven't tried to make my
own Dim Sum yet. Mostly I use mine for veggies and the odd seafood.

I'm glad you had a good Christmas and that Jimmy has some snow to play
in.
I wish you health and prosperity in the New Year.

George