Re: [gardeners] Overwintering Pelargoniums

Terry King (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 02 Oct 97 12:08:19 -0700

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:10:50 -0400, Cheryl & Erich Schaefer wrote:

>We missed the predicted frost after killing ourselves covering and taking
>in ALL the tender plants. No room to eat in the kitchen until I cut back
>30+ pelargoniums, repot the houseplant candidates and hang the others in
>the basement. BTW, I've never taken the pelargoniums out of the soil before
>but they are too big now for all to stay in pots. Is this hanging method
>the best way or has anyone another solution? Hate to lose any of them. They
>are all different.
>
>Cheryl Schaefer, Schaefer Yarns
>Beautiful hand painted fibers
>schaefer@epix.net
>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY

I've not tried doing this Cheryl but I can forward your question to the
pelargonium list or you can subscribe and ask yourself if you like.   Just let me
know which you prefer.

I'm going to set up my grow lights and keep my geraniums under them through
the winter.  I usually put them in the windows but some of them are just too
big and leggy by spring.  I might try just cutting back some of my zonals and
storing them in my cool room.  I had success doing this with 2 lilacs, 2
virgina creepers and a couple of other things I never had time to plant last year.

Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1