Re: [gardeners] Cardboard & Veggies

Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:24:54 -0500 (CDT)

At 01:17 PM 10/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I read somewhere recently that cardboard has undesirable chemicals in its
>seemingly innocent paper plus makeup. I was going to use it, too, then
>changed to newspaper except in the paths where the cardboard will be fine.
>Wish I could tell you where to verify this info...Cheryl
>
>>When I finish digging the last 2 rows of potatoes today I'm planning on raking
>>the area level, adding a little more 10-10-10 fertilizer, perhaps a little
>>more
>>manure and covering the whole patch with cardboard and spoiled hay.  Next
>>spring I'll move my strawberries to this spot.
>>
>>Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
>>taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1
>
>Cheryl Schaefer, Schaefer Yarns
>Beautiful hand painted fibers
>schaefer@epix.net
>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY

One of my clients is a large paper and cardboard plant about 40 miles away.
The glue in cardboard they make is the only thing that could remotely
resemble chemicals. Cardboard isn't even bleached so is easier to make.
Asked them about hazards associated with it and they said theirs is so safe
they don't even have to provide an MSDS for it. Can't speak for all
cardboard but this company probably provides 40% of the domestic supply from
one or more of their mills. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

George, wearing his safety consultant hat