Re: [gardeners] Cardboard & Veggies

Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:28:33 -0500 (CDT)

At 11:39 AM 10/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:24:54 -0500 (CDT), George Shirley wrote:
>
>>At 01:17 PM 10/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>>I read somewhere recently that cardboard has undesirable chemicals in its
>>>seemingly innocent paper plus makeup. I was going to use it, too, then
>>>changed to newspaper except in the paths where the cardboard will be fine.
>>>Wish I could tell you where to verify this info...Cheryl

>raking

>>>Cheryl Schaefer, Schaefer Yarns
>>>Beautiful hand painted fibers
>>>schaefer@epix.net
>>>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY
>>>
>>One of my clients is a large paper and cardboard plant about 40 miles away.
>>The glue in cardboard they make is the only thing that could remotely
>>resemble chemicals. Cardboard isn't even bleached so is easier to make.
>>Asked them about hazards associated with it and they said theirs is so safe
>>they don't even have to provide an MSDS for it. Can't speak for all
>>cardboard but this company probably provides 40% of the domestic supply
>from
>>one or more of their mills. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
>>
>>George, wearing his safety consultant hat
>
>Thanks for the info, both of you.  What I used in between the rows of potatoes
>under the woodchips is completely gone so I know it decomposes quickly.  I
>was very careful to not use any cardboard that had too much ink on it, drink
>flats mostly as they happened to be the right size.
>
>I'll try to check for more info on chemicals.
>
>Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
>taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1

If you avoid the chromic inks you shouldn't have any problem. The black inks
are mostly made with carbon and soy oil with resin from pine trees as a
binder. Also have a client that makes inks. You can find anything in these
piney woods down here. Remember that Louisiana is still largely agricultural
and the largest industry deals in timber.

George