[gardeners] Re: hustling leaves

Bob Kirk (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 23:14:02 -0500 (CDT)

Liz Albrook wrote:
> I'm planning on hustling leaves this
> fall and have been worried that people would think I'm whacko (don't
> say it, George).  Believe it or not, the only reason I didn't go out
> leaf hustling last year is that I was intimidated by how I thought
> people might react.  Dumb, huh.  But this is Idaho and I had a vision
> of folks with rifles and hunting dogs.

   This is Kansas. Once after wondering for a couple of years what was
happening to all the leaves, I pulled into one of my best neighborhoods
and had a vision of two people walking down the street behind a 3/4 ton
dual wheel pickup towing a big old livestock trailer not yet quite full
of _my_ leaf bags.
  Never had complaint one. I have, however, had people come trotting around
the house bringing out more of them before I "got away." You eventually do
get choosy: if you can't lift it with one hand you might not want it, but I
suppose that depends on what you're using them for. Wet or tightly-packed
leaves don't work too well for piling around the hovel - but beer cans,
plastic toys, wine bottles and broken concrete blocks aren't much fun to
shred, either. Even if the trusty old W-W _will handle them.

   BK---
   "no hands below this line"