Re: [gardeners] Trees and vines

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:01:25 +0000

George wrote:

> Dormanred Raspberry - grown for zones 7-9. Miz Anne fondly remembers the
> raspberries her dad grew in Southern Maryland and we're willing to try -
> again.

I have some of these and they do well, but I'm 7b. I had a great aunt who
used to try to grow raspberries in Houston (z. 9, like you). She was a
great gardener and a very stubborn woman. She used to dump big blocks of
ice on her raspberry bed throughout the summer in an attempt to keep the
roots cool. Not a wild success....and the cost must have been hideous. I
know some folks who have recently tried 'em up near College Station/Bryan.
Poor yeild and not very good flavor.

Still, I'd give it a try. You could always get an ice machine <bg>.

Catharine
Atlanta, zone 7b