Re: Garden decor was Re: [gardeners] 'Bright Lights'

Tue, 06 Jan 1998 08:27:10

At 04:43 AM 1/6/98 PST, you wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:13:14 -0500 (EST)  Cheryl & Erich Schaefer
>wrote:
>>>Around here it's worth your life to put one of those black jockeys
>in your
>>>yard. You get a visit from the many members of a national
>organization that
>>>has "Colored People" in it's title. You can paint the face white
>and it's
>>>okay though. The hot thing in rural areas around here is
>silhouettes of
>>>cowboys, hound dogs, etc out by the mailbox.
>>>
>>>George, who has flowers in his front yard
>>
>>The silhouettes are hot in rural New York State, too. What's also
>"in" is
>>junk used as ornaments, a contradiction in terms, seems to me. Once
>in a
>>wihle you see a good one, like an antique corn husker with a vine
>growing
>>on it. But the plants in old shoes, tomato cans and ammunition
>boxes are
>>the norm now. One neighbor planted a pair of jeans; that is, she
>filled
>>them with soil in a chair and grew flowers in them. We've never
>gotten rid
>>of the concrete birds left by the previous owners. Don't know why
>exactly.
>>I admit to having added a faux brass headboard as a trellis. Can't
>decide
>>if I like it in the garden or not. Just like the headboard. I also
>put our
>>old small mailbox in the main garden where it holds tools. Very
>handy when
>>I remember to put the darn things back in there. Anyone adding
>interesting
>>elements this year?
>>
>>Cheryl Schaefer
>>schaefer @epix.net
>>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY
>

>I was looking for an old bathtub, one with legs.  Think it would
>make a nice raised bed, besides being "art."
>
>I'm not into a "beautiful" garden.  I think the more fun one has
>in the garden, the more fun it is.
>
>Lillian

Hear, hear, I want to have about 200 pink flamingos in the front yard but
Anne won't let me buy any. Everyone comments on her landscaping in the
front flower gardens and she graciously accepts the compliments. Truth is
known she just chucks stuff in there and it just kinda grows. No rhyme or
reason, no ordered rows, just a mix of stuff that looks like it came up
wild. There's always something in bloom, always interesting textures and
colors of green (and brown!) and sometimes there's a little white dog with
black spots peeking out as she hunts lizards and toads.

George