Re: Garden decor was Re: [gardeners] 'Bright Lights'

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 15:04:59 -0700

At 09:28 AM 1/7/98, George Shirley wrote:
>At 09:41 PM 1/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>>My folks and I lived in, literally, a shack from 1949 to 1950 while we were
>>>building the frame of the house they were building on 7 acres. All
>>>materials were used, from Navy barracks built in WWII that Dad had bought
>>>and torn down. The shack was equipped with a #3 wash tub and a fairly large
>>>thunder mug, my first and last experience with one. You're not really old
>>>Margaret, you're well experienced and that counts more than age.
>>>
>>>George
>>>

>>I love thunder mugs.
>>
>>You may laugh at this statement, but when it's a choice between a
>>"porta-potty" that you share with 7,000 other people or a thunder mug in
>>the privacy of my own tent......
>>
>>My first experience with a thunder mug, was a little tradition that took
>>place after closing night of each new play (little theatre group)... at the
>>cast party, we'd get sloshed on a thunder mug version of trash can punch.
>>
>>Cynthia (who goes to folk festivals and on camping trips but doesn't get up
>>on stage too often anymore)
>>

>>**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
>>**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
>>** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **
>>** http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/fiftysomethingwomen/ **
>>
>When I was a kid in the Navy, back in '02 as my son says, we used to take a
>50-cup electric percolater coffee pot, fill the coffee strainer with sliced
>citrus fruit of several varieties, put in about 4 quarts of vodka and perk
>it for a while. Hot vodka will knock your socks off pretty quick. Don't
>think I would drink anything out of a thunder mug no matter how many times
>it had been sanitized. We had relatives still living in Central Louisiana
>with no running water and no electricity when I was a lad. Hated to go to
>their houses to visit, always afraid a spider would bite a tender portion
>of my anatomy whilst in the outhouse. :-)
>
>George

Spiders were my worst fear, too, at my grandparents' farm.  little did I
know that rattlesnakes go down the hole to cool off or warm up, I don't
know which.  They didn't dream rattlers would go there either.  Margaret