Re: [gardeners] Nigella - Love in a mist

Lillian Kepp (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 98 22:13:44 PST

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:57:00 -0500  Cynthia Mayeaux wrote:
>At 07:06 AM 1/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>>
>>How did you get them started?  Friends say "oh, just throw them on
the
>>ground..."  Nigella didn't germinate for me like that.  Of course,
I do
>>have the world's population of California quail, house finches and
sparrows
>>eating everything loose in my yard...Margaret
>>

>just covered the seeds with 1/8" of soil.  Nothing special.
>
>Give those birds something better to eat... bird feeder in another
area
>with niger, sunflower seeds and cracked corn for the quail.
>
>I didn't try starting them indoors, don't know if they take kindly
>transplanting, but hey, thy're annuals, can't you be brutal with
annuals
>and still have them flourish?
>
>Cynthia

I "just threw mine on the ground" as the packets said.  I said to
sow them where they are to grow since they don't like to be moved.
I remember I did water them twice a day in the beginning since right
after I planted them we got somewhat of a hot spell and I didn't
want them to dry out once they started to germinate.

I only sow seeds outdoors when 1. The instructions say to plant
where they will grow.  2.  I have a big handfull of seeds and know
that some will probably survive.
When I buy a packet of seeds that has 10-25 seeds in it, I start
those indoors.  Don't have enough seeds to waste.  I planted poppies
outdoors since 1. The package said they don't like to be
transplanted and 2. got about 5,000 seeds per package.

Lillian