Descaisnea was Re: [gardeners] Seeds

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:42:55 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Cheryl & Erich Schaefer wrote:

>  One of the seeds I'm ordering is for a plant I've been unable to find
> anywhere - descaisnea fargesii. It's a shrub, 6-10 ft x 4 ft with large
> blue seedpods and bizarre flower clusters. I haven't even been able to find
> it in books, just the original one from which I got the name, description
> and no source. I just hope I'm lucky enough to get the seed. Anyone have
> this one? Any experience germinating the seed?  Cheryl

It's a wierd genus in an even wierder family, the Lardizabalaceae.  I've
seen it in Britain, but not grown it myself... it's originally from
western China.  Since Arnold Arboretum is especially rich in Chinese
species, you might want to inquire there.  And if they send you too
many seeds, you might want to spread the germplasm around to increase
the chances of success.  ;-)

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
just west of Portland, OR; USDA zone 8