Re: [gardeners] Artichokes

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:42:54 +0000

asidv@ktc.com <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> Either that, or I am trying to talk myself into thinking
> that a soil pH of 7.8 is really not so horrible if I end up moving
> here to live year round!
>
> Suggestions, admonitions, warnings, and advice appreciated.

Don't move there.

I'd give them a whirl.  They grow artichokes in Arizona (see Deborah
Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone) so they should have some
heat tolerant varieties.  I know there is one that is grown in S.
Louisiana called "Creole".  My guess is that her problem is going to
be winter temperatures.  Below 20F and they begin to die off.

Also, artichokes from seed are like doing mint or lavender from seed
-- they don't come true.  That's the reason most folks start with
root divisions.  And if artichokes turn out to be an annual for her
she's got a better chance of getting something edible if she starts
with roots.

I've been thinking about trying them as a plant in an edible
ornamental garden.

Liz