Re: [gardeners] Fw: Propogating Tree Collards

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 07:39:23 -0700

At 08:57 PM 1/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
>George wrote:
>
>> Come on now! You don't really eat those nasty leaves do you?
>
>Yeup. I eat 'em any chance I get. I love 'em raw when they are tender
>and young; steamed lightly when they are adolescents; braised with
>smoked ham and Parmesan rind when they're long in the tooth. Life
>without collards and cornbread would just not be fittin...
>
>Catharine

Catharine, have you grown/eaten couve tronchuda or any of the other couves?
 A few years ago, Redwood City had seeds for several varieties of couve
available, which they identified as a "gourmet" collards.  Last year's
catalog featured only the couve tronchuda, which they called a 'cabbage'.
"can take heat better than any other cabbage family member, and is one of
the only greens that can be grown in hot weather."  I haven't received my
'98 catalog from Redwood City yet, so I'll be curious about their couve
offerings.  BTW, Seed Savers' '97 yearbook featured Couve tronchuda under
cabbage/green/smooth.  That said it was "grown for its thick
midribs,...leaves also edible, frost improves flavour, very succulent sweet
midribs...." I didn't know you et collards.

Cornbread?  I love cornbread, but you probably wouldn't like mine.  I bake
it with a sugar glaze on top...Margaret