Re: [gardeners] On the road again

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:55:56

At 02:49 PM 1/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>asidv@fbg.net <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Am leaving Texas to head back to Atlanta this morning. I can't
>>> believe that the daffodils are about to blom here....the early
>>> bearded iris are blooming...the dianthus are starting.
>>
>>I had a dream last night about you leaving Texas and traveling via
>>I-10.  I called you just before you left and convinced you to stop by
>>my parents old house in MS.  I wanted you to see the 40 foot camelia
>>that was in bloom.
>>
>>You're probably going to go the northern route and will miss that
>>camelia tree.  That's a real shame.  I'm tempted to fly down there
>>myself and see if it's blooming.
>>
>>Liz
>
>Forty feet? I'd risk driving through MS to see that myself.:-) Cheryl
>
>Cheryl Schaefer
>schaefer @epix.net
>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY

The camelia is a tree not your usual shrub, at least the old varieties are.
My mom had three of them on the east side of the old place that were about
55 years old and approaching 20 feet easily. The new owners cut those "ugly
old trees" down the first week they were there. In Beaumont, Texas there
are many ancient camelias growing in the oldest sections of town. Some are
20-30 feet tall and bloom every year. You have to look for them to find
them as most folks are used to seeing a shrub about 7 or 8 feet tall. The
camelias here in SW Louisiana are in full bloom right now.

George