Re: [gardeners] Spring in February?

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:25:54 +0000

Liz wrote:

> I've got Blue Pearl crocus and large yellow crocus blooming!
> What a shock that was to see
> Do you folks have this going on?  I'm worried about losing my trees
> to a hard freeze.  This activity is at least 3 weeks early for my
> region.

We are ahead of schedule, too. Some of my daffs have been blooming for
over a week. The Hellebores have been out since before I got back to
Atlanta (end of January). The flowering quince is almost done (this is way
off schedule). My Winter Daphne is almost done; so is my winter
honeysuckle. Tulips are up (not a good sign at all). Roses are budding
out. Almost all the perennials are up and growing. The dogwoods are fat
with buds. The Camellias are spectacular all over the city; it's been so
mild this winter that none have gotten their buds blasted.

I have a bad feeling about all this early Spring arrival. I don't think
we've even had a really hard freeze this year....don't think the ground
has been frozen at all. The bugs are going to be fierce. Or we will have
killing freezes in mid-April and really mess everything up.

Catharine/Atlanta, zone 7b