Re: [gardeners] magnolia stellata

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 15:25:24 -0700

At 08:27 PM 3/31/98 +0000, you wrote:
> Hello wonderful people,
>
>Let me tell you how much I enjoy your "gardentalk". I am still a
>woman with an office job, living in the city, hoping to retire soon
>and buy a small house in the country with a large garden.
>
>In preparation of this joyful event I have taken cuttings of many of
>my favorite plants. I have never been able to propagate my
>magnolia stellata.
>
>This lovely bush is in full flower now. When I bought it in the
>nursery I picked the one with the best scent. You can smell it
>some distance away from the bush! How do I propagate this lovely
>plant?
>
>Love,
>
>Maria

Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" says it's propagatable by seeds
after stratifying 3 to 6 months in moist media at 32 to 41 degrees F., or
take cuttings when the terminal flower bud is formed.  "cuttings should be
wounded and dipped in 10,000 to perhaps 20,000 ppm IBA, peat:perlite, mist;
rooting generally occurs in high percentages..."  Please don't ask me what
this means.  Margaret