Re: [gardeners] cuban oregano

Sun, 19 Apr 1998 18:08:24

At 04:20 PM 4/19/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Margaret wrpte"
>
>> I did just notice that Richters carries Cuban oregano that they identify as
>> a Plectranthus sp., catalog says "scent reminiscent of oregano, but it is
>> not used in cooking."  Hmmm.  The plot, at least, thickens.  Margaret
>

>This is the variety I know as Cuban Oregano. It's a great ornamental but
>I've been given to understand that it is definitely not a culinary
>variety. The leaves are thick and fleshy....like a Sedum. Not something
>I'd use in cooking.
>
>Catharine

the coleus amboincus I grow and call Cuban oregano is a typical coleus with
thick and fleshy leaves and is tasty. Used a lot in Caribbean dishes. Last
time I was in Houston on business I had lunch at a Cuban restaurant off of
S. Kirby and asked about the "oregano" they use. The lady manager brought
in a big pot of the same thing I have to show me. Tasted the same, looked
the same. If these darned botanists would quit changing the botanical names
on stuff we could keep up. You hear that Kay? Stop it, you're confusing us
old uns.

George