Re: [gardeners] Back to the land of the living

Rosemary Carlson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 01:02:57

At 06:05 PM 4/28/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>Well, you'd better live that long, Rosemary.  You've got some questions to
>>answer.  Did I see you tell someone you're going to be building a new house
>>on your new land?  Margaret
>
>I second that.  So you are moving this summer after all?????  Spill beans.
>
>Lucinda

Spill beans? Well - OK. This is a long story! Be prepared. My uncle
recently passed away. Lived in the town in which I teach. He had always
wanted to will me his house - BUT  he got sick and became incompetent
really before he could. I've wanted to move back to that town as I'm SICK
of commuting 150 miles/day!! Which I've done for 15 years. At 46, I'm
getting too OLD for that drive! My mother (who is an invalid, quite ill,
and lives with me) also wants to move back as it's her hometown (and mine).
It will be much easier for me to care for her there - and to find help to
care for her.  So, after my uncle's death, we (Mom and I) decided I'd buy
the house (or try) from the estate. Well - there are SIXTEEN heirs - who
all now own the house. Fifteen of them have agreed to my offer on the house
and WANT me to buy the house. However, there is ONE aunt (Mom's sister) who
does NOT want us to buy the house. A long story (family feud stuff). Bottom
line? The estate may stay tied up for months - and I probably can't buy the
house without a court fight - which would be embarrassing in the town in
which I have a career as a professor at the University! To fight my aunt in
court. YUK. So - buying this house may not be an option. Mom hopes my aunt
will cave in. I don't think she will.

So, on to Plan B. As I said, I have to get off the highway! There is little
in the way of suitable housing in the Morehead, KY area. Nothing to buy
really. But beautiful land - in the foothills of the Appalachians in
northeastern KY. So, I decided to try to buy a lot and build a house. What
I WANT! :) I've found a builder - found a lot (a wonderful, wooded,
SECLUDED lot) - found the house plan of my dreams - and am currently trying
to obtain a construction loan to build it. Of course, then - IF the loan
works out - I'll have to buy a 4-wheel drive vehicle as it's on top of a
mountain, off a gravel road, and the closest neighbor is more than 1/2 mile
away. No WAY to get out in the winter without the appropriate wheels!  As a
result of all this, I'm trying to hold off the builder until I find out FOR
SURE about my uncle's house....and, of course, find out if I can get a
construction loan - not easy in Eastern KY (where gender discrimination is
still king!) for a female with 1 income - albeit a good income.

So, that is, in abbreviated form, the whole story. In the midst of all
this, I have to settle my uncle's estate, make sure Mom is taken care of
(which requires a nurse every minute I'm not home - expensive), teach the
most demanding schedule of my LIFE, commute 150 miles/day to work a minimum
of 3 days a week (usually 4 and sometimes 5), take care of my own home in
Lexington - inside and out, take care of my three corgis (all of which are
old - 12,11,9 - and 2 of which have hip dysplasia and arthritis so bad I
may have to put them down - soon...and I could go on......but you really
*don't* want to hear it! :) :) Oh, I forgot - I also have to attempt to
keep my sanity in the midst of a HUGE family feud over this estate thing -
not to mention the rest of my life....

AACCKK!!! Life.....

Right now, I just want some closure on where I'll be living....and when.....

So, there you have it! Aren't you sorry you asked! :) :) Seriously, thanks
for asking. It helps to talk about it.

Lucinda - are you still teaching on the Internet? I AM - big time. If any
of you are on the web and get bored, go to my course site and explore
around. You won't be able to access all of it - but you can parts of it.
The Internet class is only 1 of a 4 course load I have this semester. HUGE
- in business/finance. Here's the location:
http://dl1.morehead-st.edu/courses/Fin620

(the first part of that is dl (l is the letter l) and 1 (1 if the number 1)

Lucinda (or anyone)- if you are interested in exploring the coursesite to
take a look at the software I'm using to teach, let me know and I'll set
you up a dummy account so you can get in to the whole thing.

Now, it's 1 a.m. - and I'm FAR too keyed up to sleep. Well, I'll work
awhile.....

I'd rather be gardening....:)

Rosemary