Re: [gardeners] Baneberry

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 01 May 1998 07:41:06 -0600

At 06:58 AM 5/1/98 -0600, you wrote:
>This may sound like a dumb question (2 actually) but here goes:
>1) Is baneberry a vine?
>
>2)  Has anyone heard of a plant called "acebia"?
>
>Thanks.
>Gayle
>--
>
>"The most deadly of all possible sins is the mutilation of a child's
>spirit"
>                                                Erik Erikson

1) No, and 2) it's akebia.  Gayle, Hortus says baneberry is Actaea, an
erect perennial herb that grows in woods situations.  I have some Akebia
vines, fast-growing, occasionally producing an unusual edible fruit.  It's
deciduous here, evergreen in the maritime NW.  Raintree catalog says it's
hardy to zone 4.

Margaret, still smarting over one facetious, and one outlandish answer to
my query about what selectively defoliates wormwood then puts on its hiking
boots and hikes 40 feet to defoliate a volunteer sagebrush (A. tridentata).