=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_[gardeners]_Re=A3_=B5gardeners=D5_Re=A3?=

Thu, 07 May 1998 08:50:26

At 05:54 AM 5/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At 01:58 AM 5/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>I am looking for information on a method of using PVC oioe in the garden.
>One would put a number of holes in the pipe fill it with dirt and insert
>the pipe vertically in the ground. Plants would be inserted in the holes in
>the pipe. As the plants grow they cascade down the pipe for what could be a
>spectacular effect. Have you ever heard of anything like
>thisóРРThanks.РРGerryРoclihp@aol.com
>>

>Hi Gerry,
>
>doesn't sound like a bad idea, how tall would these be?  How big O.D.?  I
>would think watering would have to be frequent unless the pipe was very big
>around.    If you were to put a smaller pipe drilled with seep holes, into
>the center of the larger pipe for watering, that would insure more even
>watering of the plants.
>
>Are you going to paint the pipe?  Doesn't most PVC pipe come with painted
>numbers and other identification marks on them?  Until the plants grew out,
>you would have to live with an unsightly pipe.
>
>I've never tried those hanging bags, but this idea sound along the same
>vein.  Let us know how it turns out.
>
>Cynthia
>**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
>**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
>** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **
>** http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/fiftysomethingwomen/ **

In addition you will want to be certain you get PVC pipe that is labeled as
potable water quality. The colored pipe generally has compounds added to
make it that color. One of the major colorants for the grey pipe is lead.
The white, potable water quality pipe is okay to use. You can get PVC pipe
in diameters up to 30 inches pretty easily.

George