Re: [gardeners] Tumbler tomatoes

Kay Lancaster (
Thu, 14 May 1998 22:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 15 May 1998, penny x stamm wrote:

> Kay, what is a 'soil rewetting agent'..? And what name would it go 
> under?

It's basically a surfactant of some sort... a soap or detergent.  One
I know that has been used is sodium dioctyl sulfosuccinate, sold to
the ag chemicals trade as "Aerosol OT" for improving wetting of leaf
surfaces for pesticide applications, and to the medical trade as
a stool softener.  It's a high grade detergent.

> >
> >Water vapor coming from inside the house can lift paint too.
> >
> That would perhaps account for the painter's comment that the 
> wood behind the shingles may have gotten too wet..... 

Yeah, you want to be really careful about that.  We just looked
at a house that (until we walked in) looked ok outside... but inside
was major a major carpenter ant infestation, and the heat was on
too high and the roof was too new.  Somebody didn't fix the roof,
the water got into the timbers, fungi and ants moved in, and I think
the house is basically a write-off.  Still, someone did a nice job
of trying to make it all sweet-looking on the surface....

Then there was the 270 amps worth of breakers in a 100 amp box....
House hunting was more fun when I didn't know so much...

Kay Lancaster
just west of Portland, OR; USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)