Re: [gardeners] Cucuzzi, aka Italian edible squash

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:07:02 +0000

George wrote:

> Had my first cucuzzi tonight for dinner, yep, that's all, cucuzzi, onions,
> and garlic. Taste is very near zucchini but a little sweeter. Cut one that
> was 12-14 inches long and about 3/4 inch in diameter then noticed one
> hiding in the huge leaves. It was 2 feet long and about 1.5 inches in
> diameter. Sliced them both and the skin was tender, the seeds were not
> formed yet, so cooked 'em and et 'em.

They sound delicious. I saw my first squash blossom today. Ditto cukes. My
garden is tiny and s-l-o-w this year.

And then there are mother's Green Thighs (also thanks to That Lawndale
Woman). Mother is out of town for a couple of weeks. This means the **6**
plants will be free to grow and grow and grow unchecked. I am planning on
calling their nearest neighbors to warn them to head for the hills if they
see any green tendrils approaching their property. I shudder to think how
big one of the squash could get in 2 weeks.

Catharine