Re: [gardeners] Cucuzzi, aka Italian edible squash

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:52:58 +0000

Catharine Vinson <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> No, it wasn't the goatsbeard recipient on this one. It was the
> shameful daughter. I was on the phone with Mother a week or so
> before they left on trip and she mentioned needing to thin The
> Thighs down to a final number of plants. I had suggested 2. She said
> 3. Since I hate being 'contradicted', I said, "come to think of it,
> you should leave at least six just in case something happens to the
> plants while you are out of town." She is going to kill me when she
> returns to find that the squash have taken over the garden.
>
> Catharine

I suggest you stay the h*ll out of Texas for the near future.  They
could be stung to death just trying to get through the vines into the
house.  I fear you could be charged with attempted murder.

Now before that Lawndale woman rears her head about the word "vines"
I'd like to state, for the record, that one of my Earl Campbell
plants, the one that kept coming back after I hacked it down, reached
5 feet in length.  It may not be a vine in the sense of honeysuckle
or silver lace vine, but it dang well sprawls out everywhere like a
vine does.  I'd hate to think how long it would have been had it not
been hacked to the ground twice.

Did anyone suggest that Pat dose them liberally with manure tea or
Miracle Gro?  <evil grin>

Liz