Re: [gardeners] Rain

Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:06:23

At 06:57 AM 6/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Plain white paper, like envelopes and typing paper is ok, also newspaper.
>I don't use coloured or glossy paper.  Shredded paper makes great mulch.  I
>sure wouldn't go to the trouble of buying a shredder and shredding if it
>were of no use.
>
>Lucinda

I would avoid the glossy paper but the colored paper would depend on how it
got its color. Like the Sunday funnies, our paper uses clay based inks for
color on newsprint, soy based black ink. Okay to shred and use either in
the garden. We just lay the stuff several layers thick, unshredded, on the
garden and cover with leaves or just keep it wet until it sticks good. Used
to use the old WW shredder back in the roaring sixties to shred about 3 or
4 tons of newsprint per annum for the compost heap. Wish I had that old
shredder again, would shred a pickup truck if you could get it in the port.

George