Re: [gardeners] Cabbage varieties

Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:14:20

At 10:21 PM 6/11/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Less glamorous than tree peonies.....
>
>I am having trouble growing a decent head of cabbage. Spring planted ones
>are often less than successful here in Atlanta. Fall ones are supposed to
>do better. Mine never have. They don't seem to develop quickly.
>
>I'd sure appreciate any pointers....particularly recommendations re
>varieties for setting out in late summer for Fall crop. Our first freeze
>is rarely before Nov 10. And all my cole crops overwintered last year (it
>was really mild). We are 7b but last few years have acted very much like
>zone 8a.
>
>I can provide decent soil, good light....but either I have a black thumb
>when it comes to cabbage or I have yet to find a decent variety. Savoy
>types were a complete bust. Early Jersey ditto. Stonehead is sitting like
>a lump at present.
>
>Catharine/Atlanta, zone 7b

I suspect your climate is probably a lot like ours exept a little colder in
the winter. We have pretty good luck with cabbage, especially the Dutch
roundhead varieties and the large flatheads. Grew Savoy last year and got
two heads out of six. Our biggest problem is figuring out when to plant
them. Weather is a sure variable here, last winter was very mild, this
winter may be another ice storm like January 1997. Another big problem is
cabbage loopers, a world of them around here. That's the only time I run
the bug light is when the loopers show up, kills zillions (a southern
technical term meaning many many). Bt also helps as do the wasps, who only
fly in the daytime so it's safe to run the zapper.

Boiled down, in the south, particularly the hotter, more humid parts,
growing cabbage is a crap shoot. Didn't help you a bit did it Catharine?
Certainly made me feel better though. Anyone have a cigarette?

George