Re: [gardeners] Re£ µgardenersÕ Morning Glories

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:20:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 sgwalter@aol.com wrote:

> Š HiĀ Irm in Houston Texas and have been having a problem with my
> morning glories.  I constantly have spidermitesĀ aphids and catepillars
> on them.  I use an outdoor pesticide on them bi-weekly but the problem
> persists and they are not floweringĀ just growing.  Should I be using a
> natural soap spray on them or what would you recommend.  Susan Walter

Spidermites are common in low humidity areas... I'll bet the combination
of the drought and the damage to the plants from the smoke and smog
in Houston is setting your plants up for insect munching.   Yes, do
try just blasting them off with a good spray from the garden hose
every day for about a week, and see where that gets you.  You may just
have to give up this year, as morning glories tend to be sensitive
to some types of air pollution.

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
just west of Portland, OR; USDA zone 8 (polarfleece)