Re: Art forms, was Re: Barbeque, was Re: [gardeners] Carolina

drusus@golden.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 03 Jul 1998 22:08:36 -0400

At 03:29 PM 03-07-98 +0000, you wrote:
>Allen wrote:
>
>> Hi Catherine,
>>     Eastern Art
>
>Hmmm, maybe, but the light just isn't the same back East. Hill Country
>light quality is so clear, for example. Ditto Wyoming, Montana. Nothing
>comparable East of the Mississippi, with the exception of Hudson River
>Valley maybe.

I think altitude has a lot to do with it -- clearer air.  Sometimes on a
very cold winter's day the light is very similar, crisp, clean and clear.
I am inclined to think it's because of the thinness of the atmosphere high
up and in winter here.  The rest of the east in the river areas and eastern
woodlands is too humid to be very clear.
Lucinda