Re: [gardeners] Silver Sage (Saliva argenta)

Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:43:49

At 05:48 AM 7/13/98, you wrote:
>At 11:22 PM 7/12/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>I am having a dickens of a time with this plant. Anybody got any hints? I
>>have it in a very lean, very fast-draining mix. Surface of pot is mulched
>>with turkey grit to try to keep the crown as dry as possible. It hasn't
>>died yet, but as soon as the new leaves get about 6" long, they give up
>>the ghost. No sign of a flower. I have it in full sun and am wondering if
>>that is the problem.
>>
>>Catharine, Atlanta, zone 7b
>>
>I had the same trouble with my common sage and the silver I had just
>purchased. Both in fast draining mix but seemed to lose leaves at a rapid
>rate. I finally quit watering them until they showed a little wilt and put
>white clam shell (common in Louisiana) around the base out beyond the drip
>line. Both appear to be doing well now but I'm still holding my breath. I
>believe the humidity is doing them in and wondered if moving them in the
>low-humidity house under the lights would help. So there, an answer, of
>sorts, and another question.
>
>George

As you can tell by the time I wrote this message I was a little rumdum.
Should have added that my sage appeared to be getting mildewed from the
bottom up and that someone had posted on here some time back that getting
reflected sunlight up underneath the plant would help. The reflected light
was the reason for the white clam shells as there was already adequate
drainage.

George