Re: [gardeners] St. Swithin's Day

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:15:59 -0400

>Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:44:14 +0000
>From: asidv@fbg.net
>Subject: Re: [gardeners] St. Swithin's Day
>
>Yesterday we had a baby bunny panting on the front porch who was soon
>joined by a baby squirrel. The only thing they had to use to keep
>cool was to keep the hummingbirds stirred up hoping their little
>wings would serve as fans. Several times a day my NGP refills their
>water dishes (yes, we put out water for squirrels, birds, raccoons,
>deer, rabbits, and -- I guess -- even the snakes).
>
>I took time out to re-read the history of St Swithin in the hope I
>would catch his attention and he would send rain. I think he tried.
>We had thunder and a brief flurry of wind but no rain.
>
>Oh well. There is always next year.
>
>Pat, hoping your gardens are lush, green and productive and that
>you'll have the good manners not to gloat.
>
>------------------------------

Hi Pat,
 We are getting good at dismissing grey skies and rumbling, their rain is
not for us.
 Our friends drainage pond has dropped 3 feet in the past month. Soaker
hoses and hand watering is keeping everything in the "not too bad" range,
but we are ready for some rain!
 I guess I should be greatful for cloudy skies, it beats morning to evening
sun.

 I've noticed a funny thing about the small animals. We have been here 7
years now. The younger squirrels and birds are much less afraid of us than
the older ones. Guess they never had to become "streetwise", at least not
in our yard.
 You could try a small liner pond with a gently sloping pebble 'beach' on
one side. It will work wonders for the wildlife. you'll be refilling 3 to
10 percent of the water every week, but ours is no maintenance beyond that.
 Well mostly, it's certainly easier than the regular garden, and I'm kind
of lazy there.

 Wishing us all some rain!

Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net>
USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.