Re: [gardeners] OT: Recipe for the season

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 07:01:00 -0600

At 10:03 PM 7/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Catherine, our local Indian fancy restaurant serves the rice with
>crumbled bacon on top. And most of the places serve Tandoori
>chicken on a bed of fried mild onions. So I have combined the
>effect....
>
>Overall, I would never classify Indian cookery as vegetarian
>in general. Their huge menus are overwhelmingly varied
>beef, lamb, chicken or shrimp/fish, with a minor number of
>popular veggie dishes, very often spinach or eggplant.. Many
>of their delicious appetizers are veggie, of course, but not all.

Liz's recipe came from an excellent Indian cookbook, Julie Sahni's "Classic
Indian VEGETARIAN and Grain Cooking."  Some Indians in Boise used to have a
restaurant, and it was entirely vegetarian.  Others have a restaurant, and
they do serve meat (chicken, at least).  I don't think any cook beef.
They'd rather let those  cows wander around stepping on people, intruding
into their kitchens, etc.

>Speaking of excellence, outside of  that same airport in St.Louis
>is the country's finest Dim Sum Chinese restaurant.  Last visit
>they were erecting an auxilliary building so they could have one
>for Dim Sum, and one for a Chinese buffet, being extraordinarily
>popular.

I am not a fan of Chinese food.  What is Dim Sum?  My husband likes Chinese
food, but he always orders "No. 6", whatever that is.  Everything is cooked
in the same oil, so everything tastes alike.  Korean food is even worse,
IMO.  Garlic, sesame oil and soy sauce on everything.  Can't tell the
difference between cooked cardboard and delicate veggies.

>I guess you can tell I've got St.Louis on the brain --- will be back
>there next week, visiting #3. Then we hop up to Chicago to #2,
>where we've lined up the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese spots
>which that daughter considers top drawer.
>
>After that, I buy a new set of slacks .......
>
>Penny, NY

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Why do Americans get fat on that when Asians don't?  If you ever wondered
how slender a man could get, take a look at a Southeast Asian sometime.
About two inches between navel and backbone.  The weather person on our TV
news channel is a drop-dead gorgeous Asian (probably Chinese, judging by
her name) who's built like a board.  And she has a toddler daughter.
Haven't seen her eat, but I've seen the Southeast Asian men tuck it away.
Awesome.  Margaret