Re: [gardeners] Moving Perennials

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 11:54:54 -0600

At 12:57 PM 8/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi everyone. Well, it nows look like I'll be moving around November 1 or
>thereabouts. Which is AFTER the frost date here in Kentucky. Is there any
>way to move some of my perennials with me since I'll be moving them after
>our first frost (unless it's an odd year)? There will not be the chance to
>dig holding beds before that as the property will be graded the last thing.
>There will be no basement to put them in - and not much garage space for
>plants. I will have a screened-in porch - though it will not be heated. Any
>ideas? TIA!
>
>Rosemary in Lexington, KY
>zone 6a

Rosemary, surely they won't be grading the entire property.  If possible,
select an area on a southern slope for a holding bed, have a few bales of
straw delivered to that site, and identify it by some police-type of
colored plastic tape around the perimeter.  They sell stuff like this at
Home Depot, and I don't think it's terribly expensive.  I'd just surround
pots of plants with straw and if possible, bury whatever pots you can.  The
tape will warn off the bulldozer operator not to disturb that site (it
would also be helpful for you to tell him that you're going to put up tape
and you don't want that area dozed).  Then take a day off work and go to
that property on the day they're to bulldoze it and stand in the midst of
your plants with a pile of rocks/tomatoes/apples to lob at him if he
forgets.  It will do you good.  Margaret