[gardeners] Re: dogwood anthracnose

Matt Trahan (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:44:59 -0400

>Donna Barna DeCapite (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
>Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:10:15 PDT

>Hi,
>
>I have found that one of my new (just under 1 year since I planted)
>dogwoods have dogwood anthracnose.  I hear that it is pretty much
>deadly.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Can I do anything about it?
>
>BTW - in Raleigh, North Carolina things are fine - just a little wind
>and rain from Bonnie..
>
>Donna

Hi Donna,
 Glad to hear you made out ok in the storm.

 The anthracnose is supposed to be deadly, but it's not supposed to be able
to survive in our summer heat. This is what I've been told. It's supposed
to be more of a problem back in the cooler mountain areas.

 Have you had a chance to ask anyone at the J.C.Raulston Arboretum? How's
the "large" border looking this time of year? Haven't had a chance to go
back in almost a year. Miss it a lot.

Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.