Re: [gardeners] Definately one word. ;-)

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 08:15:25 -0700

Matt Trahan wrote:

> >Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 17:22:20
> >From: George Shirley <gshirley@iamerica.net>
> >Subject: Re: [gardeners] Definately one word. ;-)
>
> >Yeah, they were good too, I was stationed in Newport, RI for well over a
> >year. Rock beaches, cold water, good fishing, rock fences, rock houses,
> >rock barns, rock soup. Lots of rocks.
>
> Yep, don't miss digging through them in the garden! But I do miss the low
> stone walls, jumping from the rocky outcroppings into the ocean, Buildings
> built of field stone, etc.

Wait a minute, you actually deliberately jumped into the ocean up there?
I fell in once and nearly froze to death and that was in August. You da
man if you swam in the Atlantic in New England. ;-)

>  I was also totally amazed at the
> >Acadian folk who had dropped off around Pawtucket on the trip to Louisiana.
> >Were your ancestors originally French Acadians or what?
>
>  Almost garunteed. They were originally from Pawtucket and Central Falls.
> My folks now live in Seekonk, Ma. It shares a border with Pawtucket, RI.
>
>  Never considered the overall French connection till I moved down here and
> a number of people asked if I had family in La.
>  I haven't looked into it too hard, but Trahan doesn't end in eaux. ;-)
> Never understood how it was derived from French. Closest association I've
> ever heard was on the history channel, with an early Roman Emporer named
> Trajan.

Very large number of Trahans around here, pronounced Traw Han. Some of
them claim to be of Irish descent way back. Could be as many Irish
rebels ran to Catholic France to get away from the English. Used to know
a Trahan whose first name was Murphy, thought that was unusual until I
moved here where Murphy is a common first name. Go figure.

> >> After my inlaws got married they lived in Rhode Island and Mass for 27
> >years.
> >> When he moved down here I suggested he milk the Tejas connection for all
> >>it's worth. His wife and the rest of us Yankee's will just have to struggle
> >>through life. ;-)
> >>

> >>Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
> >>USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.
> >>
> >It's surprising how tolerant we southerners are of Yankees. Most of us
> >figure it isn't your fault that you weren't born in the south. Texans are
> >the worse ones of the lot, we truly pity folk who weren't born in Texas.
> <VBG>
> >
> >George
> >

> Hmmm, why would *you* pity *us*?! <vbg>  and does this border on discussing
> religion? <VVBG>
>
> Matt - a 'recent'immagrant (less than 3 generations ;-))
> Matt Trahan  <matttrahan@ecsu.campus.mci.net> or <garden@juno.com>
> USDA zone 8, AHS heat zone 7, Sunset zone 31, northeastern N.C.

For some Texans being Texan is a religion, generally you find out they
moved to Texas from Michigan or some place and read too many magazine
stories about how Texans dress and act. Most of us are just plain folks,
shoot I don't own a Western hat or boots and wouldn't be caught dead in
them. Short fat guys don't look good dressed western.

George