Re: [gardeners] flooding in Texas

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:13:30 -0500

Hi Margaret,
    Thank you for the kind thoughts. We are fine. Our little farm is on two
hills, with the house about halfway up the side of one of them.  We placed it
here for protection from the strong north winds in winter and so that we
would be high enough above the creek, which is due south of our house. If we
received 20 inches of rain in a few hours we might have problems. There are
folks all around Bastrop Co. that have really had it bad. The lady that works
with Judy lost all of her personal property including clothes when an 8 ft
wall of water came down a dry creek bed in San Marcos. The condos were
flooded several feet deep in 20 minutes. Several homes along the river in
Bastrop Co., flooded, but the shelter here was used by only 5 people. The
shelters in San Marcos, 45 miles west of us had 3,500. The big attraction for
the news people in Bastrop was that the River was supposed to rise to 42 ft.
However the first crest passed at 32 ft. The anticipated 42 ft rise would
have been a record "100 yr" flood.
    It is ironic that we had the worst drought and least rainfall in 50 yrs,
but after having this October the 5th wettest on record we are now above the
average rainfall for the year. The NWS expects this October to wind up as the
wettest on record. There are 12 days left and at least the next 6 are
supposed to be rainy. We only need 2 more inches to exceed the wettest Oct.
ever.
    It did get scary here Saturday. A tornado passed a little above tree top
level and touched down in a pasture about 1/2 mile from here. The siding on
the end of the house nearest the path of the tornado pulled loose. It didn't
take it completely off so it was easy to put back in place.
    Cedar Creek, the place you saw is a little community about 10 miles west
of Bastrop, about 25 miles from us. We are east of Bastrop about 13 miles.
    I am sure you will hear more about the flooding downstream since the
flooding will increase the farther down river you go.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.,Tx