Re: [gardeners] Re: Potatoes/spinach

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 06:35:40 -0600

At 11:04 PM 10/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>><<   My Grandma's
>>> Pennsylvania Dutch sweet and sour sauce over the top...mmmmm. >>
>
>Margaret, I lost about 20 messages Tuesday night very late,
>because Juno has been messing around. Have not seen your
>recipe.
>
>Would you mind sending it on to me...?  I'd appreciate it!
>

>Penny, NY      pennyx1@Juno.com

My Grandma's Pennsylvania Dutch sauce for spinach, that I would
characterize as a sweet-sour sauce, starts with sauteing one strip of
bacon, diced, until brown.  Add (beaten together before putting in hot
pan): one egg, 2 T sugar, 1/4 t salt, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup milk.
Grandma used cream or whole milk, so instructions are to cook until thick.
I use 1% milk, and I don't think it will ever get thick, so I just cook it
a while.  This is the only way I like cooked spinach.  Margaret