Re: [gardeners] butter

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 06:06:29 -0700

At 06:10 PM 10/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Margaret, have you tried using the margarines marked "parve"?
>My daughter is lactose intolerant and can only use margarines with no whey
>in them. When you read the labels usually only those marked parve have no
>whey.
>
>Jo
>NJ

I don't know whether Nucoa is so marked or not, but I've used it for 25
years.  I spent more than an hour reading labels at first, until I found a
margarine that didn't contain milk as an ingredient.  Wheat intolerances
are even worse.  Catsup doesn't say it contains wheat, but it often
contains tomato paste, and that is thickened with wheat flour.  Chewing
gum, Lifesavers and dry roasted peanuts are coated with wheat flour, but
that doesn't show up in the labels either.  And beware of ham or turkey
that is injected with "hydrolyzed vegetable protein."  Margaret