Re: [gardeners] OT: Living in the Woods

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:39:06 -0700

At 07:27 PM 1/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi everyone: As some of you know, I've just moved from the city into the
>woods. Love it here BUT, within a week or so, all 3 of my dogs were sick.
>After trying to treat them myself, I took them to their vet - and they were
>diagnosed with giardia. Apparently, contracting giardia is common with
>animals (and people!) in the woods - and is a special fear of hikers.
>They've all been treated and are now well - but, here's my question. How do
>I keep them from contracting the same thing all over again?? The fact that
>their backyard is forest floor isn't going to change! TIA!
>
>Rosemary in the foggy, rainy Eastern KY mountains
>http://www.morehead-st.edu/people/ro.carls

Make sure they have good potable fresh water outside as well as inside,
Rosemary.  My giardia experience is hearsay, thank God, and is always
associated with water.  The giardia gets into the water (streams, rills,
etc.) via wild animal dung.  Many dogs are coprophagic, so if your yard is
fenced, you could go on poop patrol and make sure there's none of that
around.  Puddles may be tempting for your dogs to drink from.  Undoubtedly
others will have other ideas.  Margaret L