Re: [gardeners] Growing jicama from the store?

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:32:33 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, George Shirley wrote:

> > But it's
> > occurred to me that those of us without 370-day growing seasons would have
> > a better chance of seeing flowers if we started with the - ?corm, I guess.
>
> Well, the vines on mine are coming out of the root node or corm so would expect
> you could plant one. The jicama is just barely under the surface of the dirt, a
> little bit exposed at the surface. Haven't dug but the one so far and will have
> to wait until I'm less busy next week to dig more. Was thinking of letting one
> stay in the ground to see if a vine would grow when the ground warms up. These
> definitely aren't treated, don't know about the ones you find in the store.

I've gotten vines from jicama from the store -- the trick for getting it
to bloom, however, is that it's daylength sensitive.  I don't recall
precisely which regimen is needed, but I *think* it's an almost 12 hour
night.

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com